The Environmental Quality Department shares responsibility for stormwater management with the Public Works Department, Building and Zoning Department, and Village Engineer. The Village must maintain compliance with stormwater programs as outlined by the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II MS4 Permit
In 2003, the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) began issuing to small municipalities, an NPDES General Storm Water Permit for discharges from the separate storm sewer system. The original permit covered 2003 to 2008. The current permit was issued on February 20, 2009 and expires on March 31, 2014. As part of the permit renewal process, the Village submitted a Notice of Intent (NOI) (PDF) to the IEPA. Also since 2003, the Village has submitted annual reports to IEPA. View our Year 14 Annual Report (PDF).
Stormwater runoff occurs when precipitation from rain or snowmelt flows over the ground. Impervious surfaces like driveways, sidewalks, and streets prevent stormwater from naturally soaking into the ground. Polluted stormwater runoff is a leading cause of impairment to the nearly 40% of surveyed U.S. water bodies which do not meet water quality standards. Over land or via storm sewer systems, polluted runoff is discharged, often untreated, directly into local water bodies. When left uncontrolled, this water pollution can result in the destruction of fish, wildlife, and aquatic life habitats; a loss in aesthetic value; and threats to public health due to contaminated food, drinking water supplies, and recreational waterways.
Report Hazardous Materials Discharge
Should you witness the discharge of hazardous materials to the Village’s storm sewer system or its plentiful waterways please do not confront the individual yourself. Please call either the Department of Public Works at 847-526-9610 or RHMG Engineers, Inc. at 847-362-5959 to report an illicit discharge.
- A Fish's Tale A Tale of Polluted Runoff and How to Prevent It (PDF)
- After the Storm a Citizens Guide to Understanding Stormwater (PDF)
- Bioswales (PDF)
- Citizens Guide to Maintaining Stormwater Best Management Practices (PDF)
- Clean Water Everybody's Business Bookmark (PDF)
- Guidelines for Draining Swimming Pools (PDF)
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (PDF)
- Living With Wetlands (PDF)
- Make Your Home the Solution to Stormwater Pollution (PDF)
- Rain Gardens a How to Manual for Homeowners (PDF)
- Stormwater Management Plan 2017
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Take the Stormwater Runoff Challenge (PDF)
- Water Efficient Landscaping Preventing Pollution and Using Resources Wisely (PDF)