Rental Housing Code - Inspections
EFFECTIVE January 4th 2022 in accordance with Village Ordinance #2022-O-01 all property owners, landlords and/or agents of any residential dwelling unit that is rented, leased or let within the Village of Wauconda must be inspected by the Department prior to occupancy. New to the “Rental Housing Code” is the registration of each property owner, landlord and/or agent with the Department.
The Wauconda Municipal Code Chapter 150, Sections 150.25 to 150.36 outlines the inspection requirements of any residential dwelling to achieve occupancy. The owner, landlord and/or agent is responsible for compliance with Municipal Code. The inspection process is completed through Community Development Department - Code Compliance Division located behind the Village Hall at 109 W. Bangs Street. To complete the process the following information is required:
- Application for Rental Housing registration and inspection is required to be submitted to the Community Development Department - Code Compliance Division before an inspection will be scheduled.
- Payment of fees associated with the registration and inspection must be paid at the time of application and are as follows:
- One-time property owner / landlord / agent registration fee of $125.00
- A bi-annual Inspection fee of $95.00 is required for each separate residential dwelling unit to be inspected. A re-inspection fee of $35.00 is required during a third inspection.
- If the owner, landlord or agent has multiple properties within Wauconda there is only one registration fee.
- A credit card can only be used if paying on-line with the State of Illinois e-pay system. In person payments are cash or check only.
- Power and water must be turned on prior to any inspection and the residential unit cannot be winterized.
- Owner, landlord or agent must contact the Utility Billing Clerk at (847) 526-9604 for a final water meter reading and billing at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to occupancy. All final water bills must be paid prior to occupancy.
GUIDELINES FOR RENTAL PROPERTY INSPECTIONS
We have established an even/odd inspection calendar for residential rental dwelling units. Inspections are conducted during the months of October through December with follow up as required. Inspections and registration for an even numbered for even numbered street addresses will be conducted during an even year and odd numbered street addresses will be inspected and during an odd numbered year.
- A new inspection is required every time there is a change in rental occupancy. A Certificate of Compliance must be issued prior to the new renter taking occupancy.
- A final water billing date can be scheduled in anticipation of move-in/move-out, but contract documents must be submitted within 48 hours of the request. The owner of the property is responsible for the submittal of these documents.
- The property owner is responsible for any unpaid water/sewer bills at their rental property.
- Requests for establishment of new water/sewer bill accounts, change of address, move-ins and/or move-outs must be accompanied by a copy of both the Certificate of Occupancy and copy of the lease agreement or a letter from the property owner outlining the lease agreement parties and details.
- Contact the Utility Billing Clerk for additional information on water/sewer billing at 847-526-9604.
If paying online, first contact Department of Community Development at 847-526-9609 to confirm that the property is incorporated in the Village of Wauconda. Unincorporated properties do not require a Village of Wauconda inspection. Incorporation can also be verified on the Lake County Maps online website. NOTE: Online payments are non-refundable.
- You must complete and submit a Rental Housing Inspection Application in addition to your online payment. Completed applications can be emailed to: CD@wauconda-il.gov or faxed to: 847-526-8967.To expedite the process, email or fax a copy of your online receipt with the application.
- Online payments are processed through the State of Illinois E-pay system.
- Pay Online Here
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category