Non-Highway Vehicle Requirements
On March 21, 2023, the Village Board approved an ordinance regulating the operation of non-highway vehicles (golf carts, All-Terrain & Utility Terrain Vehicles) on Village streets. The following regulations are established in the interest of public safety.
Interested parties, applicants and drivers should read Village Ordinance Chapter 77, Sec. 7707, regarding the Operation of Non-Highway Vehicles (Golf Carts, UTV’s and ATV’s) on Village Streets prior to applying for a permit. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner and operators to know and abide by all provisions of the ordinance.
The following Operation Regulations are important for owners and operators:
- No person operating a non-highway vehicle shall be permitted upon any highway under the jurisdiction of the State, Interstate Highway, or controlled access highway of Route 12. A non-highway vehicle may cross Route 176 and Bonner Road at a 90-degree angle at specifically designated intersections.
- Operation is only permitted on Village streets after permit issuance and the driver has a valid driver's license in his or her name issued by the Secretary of State.
- Drivers must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Shall yield the right of way to all pedestrians and vehicular traffic, which constitutes a hazard.
- Operation in compliance with the provision of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
- Non-highway vehicles may not park on Main Street between Route 176 (E. Liberty Street) and Slocum Lake Road. Parking is available in the Municipal Parking lot located at W. Mill Street and S. Maple Avenue.
- Driving under the influence and reckless driving will not be tolerated and will be fully enforced by the Wauconda Police Department.
Permits shall be issued when the following conditions are met starting May 1, 2023:
- The non-highway vehicle must pass an inspection for all required equipment.
- The applicant must provide evidence of insurance in compliance with the provisions of the Illinois Compiled Statutes regarding minimum liability insurance.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license.
Upon satisfaction of all the above listed requirements, applicants should complete the Non-Highway Vehicle Permit Application in its entirety prior to scheduling a time for inspection. The application and registration payment should be dropped off or mailed to Wauconda Police Department, 311 S. Main Street, Wauconda, IL 60084. Registration shall be effective for a period of one year, May 1 to April 30 and shall be renewed annually. The initial registration is $75.00 and $50.00 on an annual basis thereafter, regardless of the renewal date. Registration stickers shall be displayed on the back rear of the non-highway vehicle.
All persons operating golf carts, All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) and Utility Terrain Vehicles (UTV) must be observant of and attentive to the safety of themselves and others, including their passengers, other motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. All persons who operate golf carts, ATVs, or UTVs on streets within the Village of Wauconda do so at their own risk.
Non-Highway Vehicle Permit Application
2023-O-04 Operation of Golf Carts, ATVs, and UTVs