The Village of Wauconda is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Water Operator Class C in the Public Works Department. This full-time position will be expected to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work, and operate a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance of the public water distribution system.
The Water Operator must possess the technical skills to conduct tests and certify backflow devices at wells and all and booster stations. Employee will inspect and/or repairs meters, booster pumping stations and water distribution system at frequent intervals to ensure all aspects of the system are functioning properly and within establish parameters. Hours of operation will include weekend and holiday work as required.
Employee must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Employee must have a minimum of two years of experience in a related capacity with the Village or other public water distribution systems, directly related experience in construction, maintenance, or repair of a public water distribution system.
Employee must pass a medical physical and a police background check. Employee must possess a valid State of Illinois Class B Commercial Driver’s License. A valid IEPA Class C/D Waterworks Operators License is required. Also required is an Air Brake endorsement and a Tanker endorsement to be obtained within 120 days from date of employment.
Job Duties Include:
- Repairs and installs water meters.
- Determines location of water lines from appropriate sources prior to excavation and Julie locations.
- Responds to complaints regarding water leaks, poor pressure or pressure change or change in water quality, evaluates situation and, takes appropriate actions to correct the situation.
- Employee must exhibit superior customer service skills in dealing with the public.
- Operates and repairs pumps, motors, hydrants and related equipment.
- Cuts, fits, lays, repairs, taps, and flushes water mains, pipes, valves and fittings on mains and services.
- Installs service lines and fire hydrants.
- Assists in the shutting of water mains for repairs.
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Superintendent of Operations as required or needed for snow removal, disaster services and other specialized excavation projects.
- The employee is expected to perform all duties in a safe manner.
The starting salary for this position is $32.12 per hour. The Village of Wauconda offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and term life coverage, participation in a flexible spending account, an employee assistance program and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund.
Interested candidates may submit an application, resume and cover letter directly to the Human
Resources Dept. The deadline for submission is 12/03/2021. Questions can be directed to Joan Rinaldi at (847) 526-9600 or email@example.com