Automated Red Light Photo Enforcement

What do I do if I receive a citation?

If you receive a citation in the mail you should follow the instructions on the back. Detailed information is provided on how to pay or contest the violation. Should the individual decide to contest the violation, he/she may do so through the Village’s adjudication program.

Is the citation valid if it was not issued by a uniformed police officer?

Yes. These violations will be reviewed and authorized by sworn officers of the Wauconda Police Department. Each Review Officer will be specifically trained in the operation and review process of the Red Light Photo Enforcement Program. These tickets are treated as a civil violation (just like a parking ticket) and will not impact the registered owner’s driving record or insurance rates.

What if I wasn't driving the car?

Under Illinois State Law, HB 4835, the registered owner of the vehicle is liable for any automated traffic law violations that occur to the vehicle, regardless of who is operating it.

Community Development

When do I need a building permit?

A permit is required for all structural projects including decks, roofing, siding, gutters, windows, basement, kitchen, bathroom remodeling, etc. Call building and zoning for confirmation of requirements.

Does my driveway have to be an improved surface?

Yes, Village ordinance requires all driveways to be improved with asphalt, concrete, or brick pavers.

Do temporary banners require a permit?

Yes, all temporary banners require a permit. There is no charge for this permit.

Human Resources/Risk Management

How do I apply for a job with the Village?

Applications are only accepted for current open positions. Job Application Form (PDF)

May I apply for more than one position with the same application?

Yes, you may. There is no need to fill out a separate application for each position. You may apply for up to 3 positions using the same application.

May I send my resume?

A resumé is not an acceptable form of application. However, you may attach your resumé to your application for the hiring manager to view. Please note that incomplete applications with a resumé attached, will still be considered an incomplete application.

Once I have applied, when will I be contacted?

Once you have applied, your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position(s) in which you are applying. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your application will be routed to the hiring manager for review. The hiring manager will contact you directly if you are selected for an interview. Due to the high volume of response we receive for our open positions, the hiring manager will be unable to contact every applicant.

How can I check the status of my application?

You may contact our Human Resources office at 847-526-9600 to check the status of your application.

Why was my application not considered?
Once received, all applications will be reviewed for completeness and to ensure that an applicant meets the minimum qualifications of the position that they are applying for. Incomplete applications along with applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be forwarded for review. If your application was complete and you did meet the minimum qualifications the hiring manager will contact you directly if you are selected to continue in the hiring process. Due to the volume of applications we receive, not all qualified candidates will be contacted.

Please address all correspondence to the Director of Human Resources at:

Village of Wauconda
101 N Main Street
Wauconda, IL, 60084

Lake Michigan Water

Where does Village water come from right now?

The Village gets its water from the aquifers accessed by 4 shallow wells (wells less than 500 feet deep) and 4 deep wells (more than 1,000 feet deep) located throughout the Village. The raw water that comes from the deep wells contains several naturally occurring elements including radium and barium. Water from the Village’s deep wells is currently being treated to meet the EPA’s required thresholds for radium and barium levels.

Is something wrong with the existing groundwater supply?

No, nothing is wrong with the drinking water that the Village currently provides. The Lake Michigan Water referendum addressed concerns for the future water supplies for our community.

Why was Lake Michigan water a good choice for Village residents?

The Village considered adding additional wells to its existing system, but Lake Michigan water is less susceptible to both over-mining and contamination. Lake water is also naturally softer than groundwater, so use of in-home water softeners will likely be unnecessary.

What will happen if something pollutes the water in Lake Michigan or if there is a problem with the pipeline from the lake?

Wauconda’s groundwater wells will still be maintained as an emergency water supply should an interruption to the Lake Michigan water supply occur. This redundancy is one of the greatest benefits of the Lake Michigan Water project. Having 2 completely different sources of water, one of our most vital resources, provides the safest, most reliable system.

How does this affect unincorporated Wauconda residents currently receiving municipal water?

Currently, approximately 400 of Wauconda’s water customers live outside Village limits. Because they do not contribute to the water system through property tax, these customers pay 25% more to receive municipal water. This surcharge will be adjusted further to help offset the expense of Lake Michigan Water.

Outdoor Water Usage/Conservation

Are there currently any water restrictions?

There are currently no water restrictions.

What are the typical sprinkling ban/water conservation rules?
A permanent outdoor water use conservation period is in effect from June 1st through September 15th each year. This conservation measure permits watering at any time of the day on an alternating daily basis. Street addresses ending with even-numbers are permitted to use outside water at any time on even numbered calendar days and street addresses ending in odd-numbers will be allowed to use outdoor water at any time on odd numbered calendar days.

Should an emergency water condition arise, an emergency conservation measure would go into effect based on an even-odd street address system that would limit outdoor water use to the hours of 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Signs in your community will change to reflect the emergency conservation measure should it need to be implemented. You will also be notified through our Village-wide telephone notification system.

In addition, there is a provision in the water conservation ordinance for watering new landscape plantings, which requires you to contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604.
Why does the Village sometimes open and flow fire hydrants?
The Village maintains over 950 hydrants throughout the Village. One of the best ways to ensure that hydrants are functioning properly is to test or flush them. The Water Division flushes hydrants in the spring to ensure that they are functioning properly.

The procedure for testing hydrants involves installing a gauge and then opening 1 of the side ports of the hydrant and allowing the water to flow wide open for approximately 1 minute. During testing, Water Division employees measure the flow velocity, static pressure, flow pressure and pito flow. For the hydrant to operate properly, crews check for ease of opening and closing, ensure that water flow stops completely when the hydrant is shut down, and confirms that any water remaining in the barrel drains down below ground level into surrounding soil.

If a hydrant does not pass this test, it must be repaired. Hard turning or inoperable fire hydrants can be a serious problem for the Fire District during emergency situations and any leaks within the hydrant can be a source of water loss and a major cause for hydrant freeze-up during the winter months.

Unfortunately, when a hydrant or hydrants are flushed in your area, your water may become discolored. Residents are advised to run water for a few minutes before use. This is especially important to do before doing laundry.
What do I need to do to install a lawn sprinkler system?
A permit is required to install, repair, replace, or relocate any lawn sprinkler system. Only a contractor possessing an irrigation registration card (issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health) is permitted to work on a lawn irrigation system.

To apply for the permit, complete the permit application (at the Building and Zoning Department), submit the permit fee of $100 and a plat of survey that indicates the location of the irrigation. No portion of the sprinkler system may be installed in a public right-of way (parkway).

A licensed plumber is required to install the backflow device on the service line for the irrigation system. An RPZ backflow preventer is required on the irrigation system. A separate water meter may be installed at the owner’s request. The backflow device must be certified annually before May 31st. Contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 for more information.

Water Quality

Where can I get information on the quality of my water?

The Village sends a Water Quality Report to all residents each year. 2013 Water Report (PDF)

My cold water is cloudy or dirty. What is going on?

Occasionally open fire hydrants can cause rust and/or scale to break free from inside the pipes and become suspended in the water. Water main repair or construction can also cause this condition. If this condition appears at your residence, allow the cold water tap to run until the water appears clear. If the condition persists, please contact the Water Division at 847-526-9610.

If my water has a funny taste or smell what can I do about it?

If your water has a chlorine taste or smell, the simplest way to remove it is to fill a pitcher with cold tap water and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator. The chlorine content will dissipate. If your water has an egg smell, and is only present while using the hot water, the smell may be coming from your water heater. Have the heater checked for problems. If you have other problems with water quality, please contact the Water Division at 847-526-9610.

Where does my water come from?

The source(s) of the water that you are receiving depends upon which wells we are currently utilizing, water system demands, and your specific location. Wauconda gets its water from groundwater aquifers using 8 wells located within the Village limits. These wells pump ground water from the aquifers to water treatment plants designed to treat the type of water being received. The Village does not get its water from Bangs Lake or Lake Michigan.

What treatment does my water undergo?

Water from 5 of our wells is treated with ion-exchange softening in order to reduce the levels of barium and/or gross-alpha emitters and radium. Higher levels of these parameters are often found in deep sandstone formations such as those in northern Illinois. In order to remove excess iron, water at Wells 3, 5, 6 and 10 is treated with iron-removal filtration. All our water is also treated with chlorine for disinfection purposes, polyphosphate for the purpose of lead and copper corrosion control, and where necessary, fluoride to comply with state regulations for optimal dental health. Some wells already have an optimal fluoride level. After water treatment, the water is pumped through our piping system to storage tanks, hydrants, and to your home or place of business.

I heard contaminants have been found in the water. Is my water safe to drink?

A source water assessment for our supply was completed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA). The IEPA determined that the source water was not susceptible to contamination. This determination was based upon a number of criteria including a 1993 well site survey, reviews of water sample analyses and available hydrogeologic data on the wells. A copy of this source water assessment is available at the Public Works facility at 302 Slocum Lake Road.

What about vinyl chloride?

Although vinyl chloride has been detected in some private homeowner wells in our area, vinyl chloride has never been detected in any of the wells serving our public water supply. The Village has taken the proactive step of increasing the monitoring frequency for this parameter beyond what the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) requires.

How much water does an average person use each day?

An average person uses 123 gallons of water daily. Typical water use for showers is 15-30 gallons, brushing teeth (with water running) 1-2 gallons, shaving (with water running) 10-15 gallons, washing dishes by hand 20 gallons, washing dishes in a dishwasher 9-12 gallons, flushing toilet 1-5 gallons.

Water Rates & Billing

How do I start a new account for water/sewer service?

To find out the steps you need to take in order to step a new account for water/sewer please view our new accounts page. New Account

What should I do if I need to make a change to the billing information for my water/sewer account?
To make a change to your billing information, please contact Utility Billing at 847-526-9604 or send an email to waterbilling@wauconda-il.gov.

Utility Billing Contact Information
What are the water and sewer rates for the Village of Wauconda?

Find out the water and sewer rates for seniors, outside of corporate limits and inside limits. Water and Sewer Rates

How do I pay my bill?
There are 5 options to pay your water and sewer bill, visit the payment options page to find the list and details about the different payment options.

Payment Options
Are there any discounts offered on water and sewer service?

If you are 65 years of age or older, you are eligible for a 10% discount on the minimum rate for the 1st 2,000 gallons of water used every billing period. To sign up, please stop by the Village Hall at 101 North Main Street, with a picture I.D. identifying your birth date to sign you up.

What should I do if my bill seems too high?
First, check for leaks in your home. An easy way to check for leaks is to read your meter before and after a period of zero water use (when you will either be away or before going to bed). The reading should be taken from left to right. If the reading has changed and you have not deliberately used any water, there is a leak somewhere in the home.

Common areas to check for leaks are toilets, sinks, water softeners, humidifiers and sprinkler systems. If you are unsure of how to repair a leak, contact a licensed plumber. Some leaks can be significant and will result in a higher water bill. It is recommended that residents address leaks as soon as they are found to avoid paying for water they are not intentionally using. Leaky fixtures can result in water bills being hundreds of dollars over the normal bill.
How do I arrange to have my water shut off in the event of an emergency?

For emergency water shut off on a weekday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., contact the Public Works Department at 847 526-9610. If you cannot get through immediately, or if you are calling after hours, please contact the Police Department non-emergency phone number at 847 526-2421, they will dispatch Water Division personnel. After hours/weekend calls will incur a $125 fee. This fee includes the cost to turn the water back on.

How do I arrange to have my water shut off for the winter season or for other planned work?

The Water Division is available to temporarily shut-off residential water service in order to protect your property in your absence. The incoming water will be shut off at the property line and you may also request the removal of your inside water meter. The minimum water bill for disconnected services will be suspended until water service is restored. Please call the Water Division at 847-526-9610 for more information. Village ordinance prohibits homeowners from turning water on or off to a residence.